Central Locking Won't Lock?

sm3e

Archived User
Hi guys,

Got our new Emina Luxuary AWD today and central locking works from the button and will unlock by using the key in the door. It won't lock using the key though?....

Currently I have to open the door push the Central Locking "Lock" Button then look the door using the key.

Anyone know of a suitable fix for this until I get remote locking added?

Coxy

Club Member
Hi guys,

Got our new Emina Luxuary AWD today and central locking works from the button and will unlock by using the key in the door. It won't lock using the key though?....

Currently I have to open the door push the Central Locking "Lock" Button then look the door using the key.

Anyone know of a suitable fix for this until I get remote locking added?

Might be that the door contacts on the sliding door are dirty and so it won't actuate. That then stops the central locking working? If you ever find that the sliding door does't lock properly, or that the alarm goes off from time to time, that can be the problem. The fix is just to clean the contacts so that they make nicely.

If it's not that then it's maybe a fault on one of the circuit boards in the door. I'm not sure which exactly, but I'm sure Bob said something about it one time. There's a way to trace which one it is (presumably the one that's not locking properly) and if you examine it it's a bit of corrosion on the circuit board that breaks the connection, but you can bridge it, I believe. You need a bit more detail from someone else on this, I'm afraid, but that at least may give you somewhere to start looking.

There is an alternative source of central locking problems: The relay(s) hidden deep in the bowels of the dashboard. One each for lock and unlock. They're a bugger to get at, so it's best to eliminate the alternatives first.

sm3e

Archived User
The central locking works on all the doors if I press the button though so I know it is not a contact or relay issue.

The only time it doesn't work is I I lock the drivers door with the key it only locks the drivers door and does not activate the central locking.

However if I unlock the drivers door with the key it then unlocks the whole car.

That's why I have to press the button inside the drivers door to activate the central locking and then close the drivers door and lock it with the key.

Coxy

Club Member
The central locking works on all the doors if I press the button though so I know it is not a contact or relay issue.

The only time it doesn't work is I I lock the drivers door with the key it only locks the drivers door and does not activate the central locking.

However if I unlock the drivers door with the key it then unlocks the whole car.

That's why I have to press the button inside the drivers door to activate the central locking and then close the drivers door and lock it with the key.

Sounds from your latest information that it's likely to be a problem with one of the circuits in the drivers door. I had the impression when talking to Bob that finding the fault on the circuit wasn't normally too difficult, but it would be better if you had a chat with him directly about it. Why not give him a call?

sm3e

Archived User
Sounds from your latest information that it's likely to be a problem with one of the circuits in the drivers door. I had the impression when talking to Bob that finding the fault on the circuit wasn't normally too difficult, but it would be better if you had a chat with him directly about it. Why not give him a call?

How would I contact this Bob?

milo

Forum User
How would I contact this Bob?

Hello Sm3e. I think that there is a telephone number at the bottom of all his postings within this forum. Under his photograph. If you click on it I am sure it is a link to his website.

Hope this helps you. Good luck, Milo

Not having seen the precise circuit diagram of the door locking system I would guess that there are 2 microswitches in there activated by some kind of cam system on the back of the lock barrel - one each for lock and unlock. If the 'lock' switch has failed or slipped on its retaining bolts or the cam system has slipped or broken then that part of the system would fail while leaving the rest still in working order.
Another possibility is that the wire going through the door hinge could have snapped due to the constant flexing as the door is opened and closed hundreds (thousands?) of times. I've had to replace half the same kind of wires on The Old Girl in the past year. Mind you: She's 35 years old now!

sm3e

Archived User
I will look at the wiring in the door and take the card off and have a look too.

This Bob is a hard man to find! You need at least 4 characters to do a Search and Bob on its own just doesnt exist. I found a Bob3D??...

I will look at the wiring in the door and take the card off and have a look too.

This Bob is a hard man to find! You need at least 4 characters to do a Search and Bob on its own just doesnt exist. I found a Bob3D??...

thats because you need to search for buffallobob lol
anyway youve found me now so to your door lock, if you remove the door panel and look at the rear of the door latch on the back edge of the door there is a small white switch assembly with a wire to it and held on with either one or two small crosshead screws, remove the unit and unravel the wire from round the latch the switch will then unplug and you then pop it apart inside is a pcb that has a track that wears if you buy a bottle of heated rear screen repair paint to repair the lines across the screen and use this to re lay the track giving a few coats then re asemble and away you go.
regards bob

Coxy

Club Member
thats because you need to search for buffallobob lol
anyway youve found me now so to your door lock, if you remove the door panel and look at the rear of the door latch on the back edge of the door there is a small white switch assembly with a wire to it and held on with either one or two small crosshead screws, remove the unit and unravel the wire from round the latch the switch will then unplug and you then pop it apart inside is a pcb that has a track that wears if you buy a bottle of heated rear screen repair paint to repair the lines across the screen and use this to re lay the track giving a few coats then re asemble and away you go.
regards bob

Thanks Bob.

How about that - somebody who doesn't know who you are.

Coxy

Club Member
All working now! Cheers guys

And the fault was....? And you fixed it how.....? Any pictures?

A bit of feedback for the next guy would be helpful if you can.

If i use the key on drivers door it wont lock or unlock passenger door

If i use the interior locking switch again it wont lock or unlock the passenger door.

if i use the key in the passenger door it locks and unlocks all doors.

So my problem is the passenger door latch or drivers latch???

And is it worth doing this trick on both door latches?

if you remove the door panel and look at the rear of the door latch on the back edge of the door there is a small white switch assembly with a wire to it and held on with either one or two small crosshead screws, remove the unit and unravel the wire from round the latch the switch will then unplug and you then pop it apart inside is a pcb that has a track that wears if you buy a bottle of heated rear screen repair paint to repair the lines across the screen and use this to re lay the track giving a few coats then re asemble and away you go.

Had a look at the catches and there all good.

Had a look at the fuses and checked with multimeter all good.

So that just leaves relay i guess... if i change and it still doesnt solve the problem what else could it be?

Can it be made to work again or is it replacement time.

Its such a little problem but a frustrating one when you have to keep walking round to open all the doors when you forget it dont work.

Can it be made to work again or is it replacement time.

Its such a little problem but a frustrating one when you have to keep walking round to open all the doors when you forget it dont work.

very unusual for one to die but i would suspect it is going to be a replacement.

Not had problems with door locks before...

once i get the lock out... i detach the motor and just replace with new one???

can i buy a new motor form the likes of Maplin if i take old one in and match it up to a new one??

Read some posts about master/slave locks... and 2/5 wire which not being having any electrical knowledge is confusing.

I did find this post on another site and for another car... but i guess its the same way to do it?

http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/237827-door-lock-actuator-replacement.html